Chef Instructor John Abels of Le Cordon Bleu in Chicago joined us on FOX 32 News at Noon on Monday, April 27 to share a very special recipe!
Pho Bo Broth
Yields 4 servings
Bone Broth Ingredients:
· 1lb. Oxtail, cut into 3-inch pieces
· 1lb. beef bones
· 64 oz. prepared beef or veal stock
· ½ oz. vegetable oil
· 2 whole onions, cut into ¼-inch slices
· 8 oz. daikon, chopped
· 1 ½ oz. fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
· 3 green onions, crushed
· 3 garlic cloves
· Whole cinnamon stick
· Piece star anise
· 1 tsp. black peppercorn
· 4 oz. dried rice sticks (Bahn pho), soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained
· 8 oz. flank steak, cut very thin
· 4 oz. bean sprouts
· 4 oz. red onions, thinly sliced
· 1 green chili pepper (jalapeno or serrano), sliced thinly
· 2 oz. green onions, ½-inch pieces
· 1 oz. cilantro leaves, fresh
· 1 oz., mint leaves, fresh
· 1 oz. basil leaves, fresh
· 1 oz. Vietnamese fish sauce
· 8 oz. lime wedges
Method of Preparation:
1. Rinse the oxtail and beef bones. Cover with cold stock and additional water if necessary, bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skim as necessary for the first 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add sliced onions. Cook, stirring continuously as the onions brown. Remove onions and drain the fat.
3. After the stock has stopped foaming, add the browned onions, daikon, ginger, green onions, garlic, cinnamon, star anise, and black pepper. Simmer and continue to skim for two hours.
4. Strain the stock using two layers of cheese cloth. Remove oxtail and shred the meat to serve with the soup
5. Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water for three seconds. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain.
6. Arrange the sliced beef on a platter. Garnish with red onions, sliced chilies, lime wedges, mint leaves, and basil.
7. At serving time, cook rice sticks in boiling water to heat. Drain.
8. Divide rice sticks equally among four serving bowls.
9. Season hot beef stock with fish sauce and black pepper to taste.
10. Each person then can add cooked beef, raw flank steak and red onions to their noodles. Ladle hot stock over the meat, stirring to cook the meat.
11. Add green chile, bean sprouts, cilantro, mint, basil, and lime to taste.