SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE - Two men were killed and at least 10 other people, including a 13-year-old boy, were wounded in shootings Monday on the city’s South and West sides.
About 10:40 p.m., 24-year-old Ronald McBee was fighting over a gun with another male in the 7300 block of South Morgan when the male eventually gained control of the weapon and opened fire, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. McBee suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 11:32 p.m. He lived on the block where the shooting occurred.
The 13-year-old boy was one of four wounded in a shooting that left a man dead at 8:50 p.m. in West Englewood, police said. The group was standing in the front yard of a home in the 6700 block of South Winchester when a group of males walked up and started shooting, police said. The shooters then ran away.
Timothy Agnew, 28, was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene at 9:18 p.m., according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He lived in the 8100 block of South Maryland.
The boy suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the right thigh and was taken in critical condition to Comer Children’s Hospital. A 23-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the left leg and a 30-year-old man with gunshot wounds to the left leg and buttocks were both taken to Stroger Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized. The fifth victim, a 34-year-old man, was shot in the right leg, right hand and shoulder, police said. He was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized.
The day’s latest shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. in another Englewood neighborhood attack. A 21-year-old man was driving south in the 5600 block of South Loomis when someone got out of a black car and fired shots in his direction, police said. He suffered two gunshot wounds to the back and was taken in serious condition to Stroger Hospital.
About 7 p.m., someone shot a 38-year-old man in the buttocks and thigh when he refused to hand over his cash in the 700 block of North Lavergne in the Austin neighborhood. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition after the failed robbery, police said.
At 1:07 p.m., two men, ages 21 and 27, were shot near the former Harold L. Ickes homes in the 2600 block of South Federal, police said. They were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where the younger man was in serious condition with gunshot wounds to the face and neck, and the older man’s condition had been stabilized with a wound to the buttocks. Police have not released the circumstances of the shooting, but said four suspects were arrested at the scene.
A man walked into the hospital more than 18 hours after he was shot early Monday in more Austin neighborhood violence. The 34-year-old told investigators he was driving about 1:45 a.m. when someone in another vehicle stopped at an intersection in the 1600 block of North Cicero opened fire in his direction, police said. The man suffered a graze wound to the back. About 8 p.m., he took himself to MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn, where he was listed in good condition.
Monday’s first shooting happened just after midnight in the Fuller Park neighborhood. A 24-year-old man was walking at 12:10 a.m. in the 3900 block of South Wells when two people walked up to him and one opened fire, hitting him in the hand, foot and buttocks, police said. His condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
Including the victims from Wells and Cicero, 49 people were shot over the weekend. Nine of those victims died.