Man who allegedly stabbed three held on $2 million bond

CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - A 36-year-old man who allegedly stabbed three people in a Chinatown apartment for transients was ordered held on $2 million bail Wednesday.

Raul Gonzalez allegedly wielded a 10-inch blade, killing Zenan “Sonny” Hernandez, 51, and injuring two other men, Cook County prosecutors said during Gonzalez’s bond hearing at the George Leighton Criminal Courthouse.

At the time of the stabbings, Gonzalez was living in an apartment in the 200 block of West 23rd, prosecutors said.

On Monday evening, Gonzalez got in an argument with one of the men he would later allegedly stab, prosecutors said.

The man told Gonzalez that he was upset about the way Gonzalez had been treating others in the apartment. What began as a verbal argument escalated when Gonzalez pulled out the knife, prosecutors said.

Gonzalez stabbed Hernandez in the head, back and hand, prosecutors said. One of the victims received wounds to his groin, while the third victim was stabbed several times in the head, prosecutors said.

Gonzalez was also injured when two of the victims used knives to defend themselves, prosecutors said.

Hernandez was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The other men were taken to Stroger Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized.

 App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories