CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - Three people died, and at least eight others were wounded, Thursday in gun violence across Chicago.
Early in the day, a man was found shot to death in Englewood on the South Side. Officers responded to a call of shots fired and found Donnell Horton, 43, laying on a sidewalk with multiple gunshot wounds to his back and legs at 12:54 a.m. in the 6900 block of South Sangamon Street, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
He was pronounced dead on the scene at 1:13 a.m., officials said. Area South detectives were conducting a homicide investigation.
Another man was fatally shot about 9 p.m. in the Southwest Side Lawndale neighborhood. Tyree Davis, 25, was sitting in a vehicle when he was shot in the 1400 block of South Tripp, authorities said. He was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital. He lived in the same neighborhood as the shooting.
About 5:30 p.m., a man was shot to death in the Austin neighborhood. The man, 28-year-old Terrance Cox, was shot in the back and abdomen in the 1100 block of North Mason, officials said. He was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital. He lived in the East Garfield Park neighborhood.
At least eight other people were wounded in shootings Thursday:
- About 11:15 p.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the Arcadia Terrace neighborhood on the Northwest Side;
- about 10 p.m., a 23-year-old woman was shot in her eye in the Washington Park neighborhood;
- about 9:40 p.m., a 53-year-old man was drinking in an alley in the 11500 block of South Ashland Avenue when he was shot on his right side, police said;
- about 8 p.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the hand while he was standing in East Garfield Park;
- about 7:30 p.m., a 32-year-old was shot in the chest when a dark-colored car pulled up in Austin;
- about 6 p.m., a 20-year-old was standing near a group of people when someone in a vehicle drove up and opened fire at them;
- about 4:10 p.m., a 23-year-old man was wounded in a drive-by shooting in the Little Village; and
- about 3:20 a.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the Little Village neighborhood.