Man charged with kidnapping girl in Calumet City

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE - Video of a girl being kidnapped last month in south suburban Calumet City was released Friday as charges were announced against an Indiana man accused of abducting her off the street in broad daylight.

Bryan Protho, 38, of East Chicago, Indiana, was charged Friday with a count of kidnapping, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

On Dec. 20, Protho grabbed the girl as she walked on the sidewalk near 153rd Street and Burnham Avenue, prosecutors said.

He forced the girl into his red Ford Explorer and drove off, prosectors said. He then pulled over in an alley and assaulted the girl. She was able to escape and flag down a passing vehicle.

Protho was arrested seven days later and has been held in federal custody since, prosecutors said. He was expected to be arraigned Feb. 20.

Protho could face 20 years to life in prison if convicted.

The FBI released surveillance footage Friday that allegedly captured the kidnapping. The bureau noted in a statement that the time stamp on the video displayed the wrong date.

Anyone with information regarding the vehicle or suspect seen in the video should contact the FBI Chicago Field office at (312) 421-6700 or chicago@fbi.gov.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories