2 teens charged in attack at Near North Side Red Line station

- Two teenage boys have been charged in connection with an attack in which dozens of teenagers beat three people last week on a Red Line platform on the Near North Side.

The boys, ages 15 and 16, were each charged with felony aggravated battery and mob action for the Dec. 29 attack at the State/Chicago Red Line station, according to Chicago police and a statement from Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd).

The younger boy was charged early Thursday and appeared in juvenile court shortly after. Police said he was “observed delivering multiple punches and kicks” to two of the victims, along with “eight to ten other offenders.”

The 16-year-old, who was identified to police by an anonymous tipster, was charged later Thursday and was scheduled to appear in court Friday, police said. Neither boy was identified because they are juveniles.

The victims were waiting for a train about 7:30 p.m. at the station, 800 N. State St., when the group of teens stepped onto the platform, police said. One of the people in the group asked a 26-year-old man if he was recording them, which he denied.

The horde of teens then approached the man, a 29-year-old woman and her 28-year-old boyfriend and started punching them, according to police and the victims, who asked not to be named.

All three were treated at the scene for bruising and lacerations, according to Chicago Fire Media Affairs.

The 28-year-old, who has lived in Chicago for three years, said he later went to University of Illinois Hospital, where he learned that his eye socket was fractured.

In the days following the attack, authorities released surveillance photos of multiple suspects.

Hopkins said additional arrests in the case were “anticipated.”

Police did not immediately release additional information about the charges Thursday night.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories