11-year-old boy dies playing 'choking game'

- A South Carolina boy who just started the sixth grade has died while playing the “choking game,” a tragic fad responsible for the deaths of other youngsters over the years, according to reports.

Eleven-year-old Garrett Pope Jr. of Indian Land, was found dead in his bedroom Wednesday after playing the game, which causes children to pass out and wake up with a euphoric rush.

“He took this terrible ‘game’ too far,” the boy’s grief-stricken father said on Facebook Friday.

Garrett Pope Sr. urged other parents to do whatever they can do to prevent a similar tragedy. Stacy Pope told the Rocky Hill Herald her son was “the best.” She told the paper a summer football coach told her about the game. She said she mentioned it to her son who didn’t know anything about it.

“I should have pushed it further,” she told the paper. “If you talk to your kids and they said they don’t know about it, don’t stop there. You educate them on what it is, it’s not a game and it can kill you.”

More at FOXNews.com

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories