Flesh-eating bacteria results in foot amputation for man

- A daycare teacher in Houston had to have his right foot amputated recently, after it became infected with a flesh-eating bacteria.

Raul Reyes, 26, sought treatment at a clinic for what he thought was a blister on the foot after an injury at work, but instead was diagnosed with the flesh-eating bacteria, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Doctors had no choice but to remove the foot to save Reyes' life, his wife Joseline Reyes said.

“The blister was covering his entire foot,” she said.

Losing a foot was a terrible outcome for her husband, but things could have been much worse, she added.

“I think about it every day – every day he’s been here [in the hospital],” Joseline told Fox 19 Houston, “I think about how I could have lost him

Doctors believe Reyes contracted the infection through an open wound from an ingrown toenail, but they are unsure where he first caught the infection.

Salt or brackish water are common places for infection, the station reported.

Full story at FoxNews.com 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories