Gas leak causes Homer Glen home explosion, fire; 2 hurt

A gas leak has caused an evacuation Thursday evening in southwest suburban Homer Glen.

LOCKPORT (Sun-Times Media Wire) - Authorities say a home explosion and large fire caused by a natural gas leak injured two people in suburban Chicago and prompted the evacuation of area residents.

A house exploded at 14145 S. Parker, prompting an evacuation of the area within a half-mile radius, according to a statement from the Will County sheriff’s office.

As of 10:28 p.m., the gas leak was capped off. Nicor gas remained on the scene to investigate and evaluate safety.

Authorities say a man and his daughter were taken to Silver Cross Hospital for treatment of injuries including burns.

The home was destroyed.

Authorities say nearly all evacuated residents were allowed back in their homes Thursday night.

ComEd has turned back on most of the power and is expected to restore electricity in all homes within the hour, the sheriff’s office said.

 App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories