City wants another probe of McDonald shooting

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago officials are asking for another investigation into the 2014 shooting death of a black teenager by a white police officer, a video of which was released last month and sparked several protests.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the new head of the agency that investigates police shootings said Wednesday that while the U.S. Attorney's Office is examining statements made by other officers on the scene when Officer Jason Van Dyke shot Laquan McDonald, they want Chicago's inspector general to launch his own probe.

Officers' reports portrayed McDonald as more threatening than he appeared on the video. That triggered accusations of a police cover-up.

Sharon Fairley, the new head of the city's Independent Police Review Authority, said it was important for "public confidence" that the inspector general get involved.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories