HEBRON, Ind. (AP) - Seven dogs found unconscious in a smoke-filled Indiana garage during a house fire were saved by first responders and neighbors who raced to give them oxygen.
State Police say the seven Labradors, two of them pregnant, were pulled unconscious from the garage Tuesday near the northwestern Indiana town of Hebron.
As first responders performed CPR on the dogs, officers and neighbors opened the canines' airways and blew air into their lungs. Paramedics then used special "pet masks" to give the canines more oxygen.
The dogs were taken to animal hospitals for treatment and State Police say all of them survived "as a result of everyone's brave actions."
The dogs are owned by a local dog breeder. Officials say a heat lamp in the garage may have sparked the fire.