CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -- Protestors shut down parts of State Street in the Loop Sunday, led by Reverend Jesse Jackson. The more than 200 protestors marched through Chicago and ended at the Thompson Center where speakers took the microphone and called for justice and changes in the police culture and for a federal investigation.
The same time as the protestors marched Sunday, the Associated Press reported the United States Justice Department is expected to announce this week it will begin an investigation into the patterns and practices of the Chicago Police Department. Similar civil rights investigations were conducted in Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri.
Protests have continued in the streets of Chicago since last month’s video release showing Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke shooting Laquan McDonald, 17, 16 times, killing him.
State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez charged Officer Van Dyke with murder one day before the video was released. Some, including Jackson, want to know why it took State's Attorney 13 months to charge the officer and why he's the only one.
“Young man shot 16 times and the killer files a false report and his fellow policemen read the report - they should have arrested him,” said Jackson before the march. “Instead they corroborated with him and they too should be fired.”
After the video was released the public called for city officials to resign. Last week Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel fired Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, but many want the mayor and state's attorney also gone.
“I saw that video and I just had to come down here because we are all brothers and sisters in this city and we are not acting like that,” said protestor Britt Holmberg.
Jackson said Sunday the protest on State Street was to remind the merchants who are focused on profit - that others are focused on pain.
“It's been peaceful the protestors I am proud of them for being so peaceful,” said one shopper.
“I think it's getting a little carried away - the government is going to handle it appropriately and I think things just need to be handled that way,” said another shopper.
Another video is expected to be released showing a Chicago police fatally shooting teenager Ronald Johnson, which could be made public as early as Monday.
The mayor's office released a statement regarding the Justice Department investigation saying: “We will let the Department of Justice address what action they will or will not choose to take, but as was made clear last week, we welcome the engagement of the Department of Justice as we work to restore trust in our police department and improve our system of police accountability."