CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - A 60-year-old man was killed and a woman seriously injured in a Roseland neighborhood house fire Saturday morning on the Far South Side.
Crews responded at 6:50 a.m. to the blaze in the 100 block of East 103rd Place, according to the Chicago Fire Department
The man was dead at the scene and the woman was taken to a hospital in serious-to-critical condition, officials said. Her age wasn’t available.
The fire started when a pile of clothes were ignited by hot extension cords caused by an illegally overloaded electrical connection wired from the building next door, fire officials said.
The home did not have functional smoke detectors.
The Cook County medical examiner’s office withheld the man’s name Saturday afternoon pending notification of his family. An autopsy was scheduled for Sunday.