CHICAGO (SUN TIMES MEDIA WIRE) - A chlorine leak caused a HazMat situation that shut down a busy stretch of Wacker Drive and injured six people in the Loop on Friday morning.
A Level 2 HazMat response has been called at the intersection of Wacker and Clark, according to Fire Media Affairs.
Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt said the situation started shortly after 10 a.m. when chlorine and acid were mixed on the roof of the building, causing a chlorine leak. It was not immediately clear how the leak occurred.
Six people were taken to hospitals in fair-to-serious condition, according to the fire department. Five were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and one was taken to Rush University Medical Center. One person refused medical treatment.