Cubs call up promising catcher Wilson Contreras from Triple-A

- The Chicago Cubs have added another promising prospect to their 25-man roster, calling up catcher Willson Contreras from Triple-A Iowa.

The Cubs dipped into their farm system again after promoting outfielder Albert Almora Jr. from Iowa last week with Jorge Soler going on the disabled list.

The 24-year-old Contreras is getting his first look in the majors after dominating in the minors. To make room, Chicago designated catcher Tim Federowicz for assignment before Friday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"This is an amazing feeling," Contreras said. "I want to thank my teammates and the Cubs for giving me the opportunity to be here. From now on, they're going to have a really nice player, a hard-work player."

Manager Joe Maddon said there is "no telling" how long Contreras will stick with the club, but the Cubs want him to learn from veteran catchers Miguel Montero and David Ross. They also see him as a big part of their future.

"He's going to help us at some point this year, maybe very dynamically by the end of the year," Maddon said.

Contreras, who was not in the lineup, was batting .350 with nine home runs and 43 RBIs at Iowa. He was signed by Chicago as a non-drafted minor league free agent out of Venezuela in July 2009.

Along with his success at the plate, Contreras made big strides handling the pitching staff, president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said.

"This kid has really earned it," Epstein said.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories