(FoxNews.com) - U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has admitted he "let my team down" when he falsely claimed that he and three of his USA Swimming teammates were robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro last week.
In an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer that aired Saturday night, Lochte said he was "taking full responsibility for" the furor that overshadowed the final week of the Summer Games.
Initially, Lochte claimed that he, Feigen, Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz were robbed at gunpoint by theives posing as police officers early Sunday morning. Local authorities claimed that the swimmers had vandalized a gas station bathroom while intoxicated after attending a party with fellow athletes.
"I over-exaggerated that story," Lochte said. "If I had never done that, we wouldn't be in this mess."
Read the full story on FoxNews.com.