WARNING: Do not plug space heaters into power strips, fire officials say

CHICAGO (Fox 32 News) - The cold weather is here in Chicago and so is the need to stay warm and toasty, but if you use a space heater, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a power strip.

Doing so is a major fire hazard, according to fire authorities.

According to fire officials, these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire.

Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°F to 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it's in use.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More Stories You May Be Interested In - includes Advertiser Stories