The following represents brief/broad position descriptions. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, to represent a comprehensive and/or exhaustive description of all duties/responsibilities and requisite skills for each position.
To review a list of and to apply online for job opportunities available at Fox Stations Sales, including the FTS Sales Training Program, click here.
Sales Assistant: WFLD/WPWR seeks a highly motivated individual to join our sales assistant team. The ideal candidate will assist members of the sales team with various projects, reports, and presentations. Core responsibilities include: data entry of broadcast orders, filing, organizing and verifying accuracy of all orders as well as complete follow through of the sales order process. Candidate must be extremely detailed oriented. The position requires daily interfacing with Sales Management, Accounting, Traffic, Research and Programming departments. REQUIREMENTS: College degree preferred. Qualifications include strong clerical, communication and problem-solving skills. Ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to provide service excellence to clients and account executives. Prior broadcast sales assistant experience preferred. Microsoft Office, Wide Orbit, One Domain and Nielsen ratings knowledge a plus. This a great career opportunity with long term career potential. To apply, please click here.
News Producer: WFLD's News Department is seeking an experienced individual for an immediate opportunity in it's newsroom as a Producer. The Producer will generate fresh and engaging content to newscasts and digital. He/she is accountable for gathering, writing, editing, and producing content along with supporting anchors and reporters. The Producer will edit VOs, SOTs, teases, and the occasional PKG for newcasts; mine and facilitate content to news and digital teams; download video and create placeholders within rundown. This person will serve as a "go-to" person for EPs, assignment editors, reporters, photographers and editors regarding editing and video requests. REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, or broadcast required. Minimum of five years' experience in a medium to large television market preferred. Ability to mine content from all sources and possess the technological expertise to write, edit, produce and distribute content to all platforms is required. Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge and understanding of the latest ways to utilize social media, both as a news gathering tool and to communicate with our audience. To apply, please click here.
Per Diem Writer: WFLD is seeking a freelance writer to write stories assigned by producers, gather facts, find video and oversee editing of stories. Responsible for story content and accuracy. Perform duties of line producer when assigned. Must perform all other duties as assigned and deemed appropriate. REQUIREMENTS: Candidate must have 2-3 years writing experience, experience as a line producer and computer knowledge preferred. Must be creative, concise, detail oriented, able to handle deadline pressure and take direction from producers. Reliability, good news judgment, and factual accuracy are crucial. Heaving sitting at workstation, light standing, bending, walking and stair climbing are also required. Candidate must be able to work flexible hours; early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays may be required. To apply, please click here.
DGA Director: WFLD is seeking an experienced newscast director/technical director to join its production team. We utilize a fully automated control room to produce ten hours of live news daily. The ideal candidate will have experience with a production automation system, preferably Sony ELC. Knowledge of the Sony 8000 switcher, ChyronHego tools (Camio, Axis & Luci), robotic cameras and iNews are a plus. Additional duties may include directing weekly political and sports shows, promos, satellite/Zoom interviews, pre-produced segments and floor directing. REQUIREMENTS: At least 5 years experience directing news or related content. Strong technical directing background with experience in an automated control room and studio. Ability to lead, thrive under pressure and succeed in the fast-paced environment of live local news. Ability to work flexible shifts including overnights, weekends and/or holidays. To apply, please click here.
Per Diem Production Technician: WFLD/WPWR is seeking a Freelance Production Technician. The Production Technician will operate auxiliary equipment as part of FOX32’s live news and sports productions. These include but are not limited to robotic cameras, graphics and audio. The ability to excel under pressure in the fast paced environment of live local news alongside a talented team of producers and directors is required.
- The Production Technician will serve as the technical co-pilot for all news and sports programming.
- Experience with studio LED lighting, ETC lighting consoles, Ross studio camera robotics, Calrec audio consoles, and Chyron graphics systems is preferred.
- The ability to mix multiple audio sources during any news or sports program.
- Candidate should have experience in an automated production control room environment.
- Interaction with talent and guests using excellent interpersonal communication, verbal skills and a professional demeanor is critical.
- Others duties may include recording news and programming feeds and tuning in Satellite and Microwave signals. Preparing content for broadcast by ingesting and timing media as well as judging technical quality.
- Previous experience with or ability to learn Grass Valley iTX master control automation system is also helpful. Knowledge of windows server/client platforms, high performance storage systems, and video encoding/delivery systems is a plus.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- 5 or more years of television production experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to proactively isolate and resolve technical problems within network and broadcast systems.
- A team player that is able to work independently as required.
- In-depth troubleshooting skills and the ability to perform successfully under pressure are essential.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks.
- Previous experience and knowledge in an IT architecture and infrastructure is a plus.
- Must be flexible with schedule including working on weekends and holidays.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time, climb ladders, and lift up to 50 lbs.
To apply, please click here.
Assignment Manager: WFLD/WPWR is seeking a dynamic Assignment Desk Manager. The Assignment Desk Manager will oversee daily operations of the assignment desk. They will manage and delegate the coverage news items for broadcast and online news media. The manager will be responsible for managing the assignment editor staff, and setting up stories for reporters on a daily basis, and assign reporters and photographers with precise attention to logistics.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Independently generate news stories within WFLD’s standards and guidelines.
- Research and develop local news stories.
- Monitor wire services, emails, social media, etc. for breaking news and relative content that can be used to enhance FOX 32 newscasts.
- Independently evaluate and list newsworthy events in a computerized assignment planning files and coordinated in studio and remote news segments and event.
- Work with news team to plan coverage of news events and special coverage on various topics of interest.
- Work with Fox station group and other partners and agencies to provide video feeds and/or coordinate coverage of segments and events.
- Provide direction to field crews where necessary.
- Maintain a future file and beat check for news material.
- Work closely with newscast producers to develop vision for on air segments.
- Develop outside news sources and contacts.
- Work with the news management team on continuing efforts to upgrade the news generating ability of FOX 32.
- Must be aware of the the development and urgency of news events and have the ability to cover and translate those stories into maximum viewer interest.
- Contribute ideas to station’s social media platforms, creating content and breaking news on various platforms.
- Monitors progress of stories during shift.
- Responds to viewer calls for breaking news, story ideas, and information.
- Reacts to breaking news and diverts news crews as needed.
REQUIREMENTS: A college degree in Journalism or related discipline from an accredited university or college required; a minimum of 4-7 years of experience in similar positions of progressive responsibility, at least 2 years of supervisory experience preferred, working knowledge of television ratings, advanced oral and written communication skills, working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment, calm under pressure: the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work flexible shifts, including overnights, weekends and/or holidays. To apply, please click here.
Freelance Sports Producer: WFLD is seeking a per diem Sports Producer who will be responsible for writing/producing/editing Fox Chicago Sports news under tight deadlines; must be able to produce, line produce, and edit sportscasts for Fox 32 local newscasts. The ideal candidate will be able to produce and edit features for all sports specials. Must also be able to edit (Adobe Premiere and Bit Central Desk top) and be proficient in the editing workflow. Some field producing may be required. REQUIREMENTS: 1-3 years’ experience. Must have a flexible schedule; be available nights and weekends, especially during football season. To apply, please click here.
Investigative Producer: WFLD is seeking an experienced candidate to join the newsroom team as an Investigative Producer. The Investigative Producer will produce compelling investigative segments for newscasts, set up interviews, book guests for shows, survey locations, structure segments and cultivate sources. He/she will support an elite unit which has distinguished itself in the market for uncovering government waste and political corruption. Position requires individual to make many phone calls, follow-up, and supervise all logistics. REQUIREMENTS: Successful candidate must have 2-3 years television news experience, which includes experience with on-line research and investigative issues. Must have track record of taking complicated subjects and adapting them to television with creative and innovative techniques. Required to have extensive knowledge of the law governing undercover work, libel and privacy. Must have college degree in Journalism or related field. Knowledge of AVID and INews desirable. Individual must be detail-oriented, dependable, and familiar with technical aspects of production. Since this is an open newsroom, the successful candidate must have a professional demeanor, an amicable disposition, and able to maintain a good relationship with staff and upper management. To apply, please click here.
News Anchor/Reporter: WFLD Chicago Fox 32 has an immediate full-time job opening for a main anchor on our news broadcast(s). The ideal candidate will display professionalism and personality, both on and off the air. Candidates must also possess strong presentation skills, strong work ethic, broad knowledge of current affairs, the ability to work effectively with a team of professionals, have an aptitude for social media, and passion for innovation. You will be expected to contribute content as an Anchor/Reporter on-air, and to other platforms including our website and social media. This is a fantastic opportunity to shine as a marquee anchor in a Top-3 market. Requirements for this position include at least 3 years of experience at the anchor desk and reporting in the field. You must show the dynamic ability to work with the news team and collaborate on newscasts. You will also be writing packages and stories on a nightly basis. Must have college degree in Journalism or related field. To apply, please click here.
"Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Please send an email to WFLD-HR@foxtv.com, call 312-565-5532, or visit our readily accessible station located at 205 N. Michigan Ave. Chicago, Illinois, 60601, and a member of our recruiting team will assist you."