Indiana class-action lawsuit targets NIPSCO after prolonged power outages

Loading Video…

This browser does not support the Video element.

Lawsuit targets NIPSCO after prolonged power outages | FULL REMARKS

NIPSCO is facing a class-action lawsuit after thousands of northwest Indiana residents endured prolonged power outages following last week's storms.

A class-action lawsuit is seeking to hold NIPSCO accountable after thousands of northwest Indiana residents endured prolonged power outages following severe storms last week.

NIPSCO faces lawsuit over outages

The Allen Law Group says thousands of northwest Indiana residents are seeking damages and changes to NIPSCO's vegetation management practices.

The lawsuit alleges NIPSCO failed to proactively trim trees and other vegetation around power lines, leading to outages that could have been prevented.

"Instead of trimming trees proactively on a 5-7 year cycle to prevent foreseeable outages, NIPSCO simply reacts. This needs to change," attorney Otto Shragal said in a statement.

According to the law firm, Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission records show NIPSCO charges $233.62 per 1,000 kilowatt-hours, the highest rate among electric utilities in the state. The firm also says IURC records show NIPSCO has the state's worst reliability record.

Attorneys say residents affected by the outages have reported spoiled food, flooded basements and health-related problems. The firm cited residents who were unable to use medical equipment, had medical care delayed or struggled with pain management during the outages.

"This Class Action lawsuit demonstrates the immense power citizens possess when they stand together," attorney Kenneth Allen said.

The Allen Law Group held a press conference at 10:30 a.m. Friday in Chesterton to discuss the lawsuit.

The Source: The information in this story came from the Allen Law Group.

ChestertonSevere WeatherNews