(WJBK) - A Michigan fruit distributor is recalling four varieties of apples because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria.
Jack Brown Produce, Inc. of Sparta, Mich. is recalling Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious that were shipped by one of its suppliers from December 11-16, 2017. The apples went to stores in Michigan, Georgia, Missouri, Indiana and Ohio.
The product at issue consists of the following types of apples sold or distributed by Jack Brown Produce, Inc. under the brand name "Apple Ridge" including:
- Honeycrisp apples in two-pound clear plastic bags;
- Gala, Fuji, and Golden Delicious apples in 3-pound clear plastic bags;
- Fuji and Gala apples in 5-pound red-netted mesh bags; and
- Gala, Fuji and Honeycrisp apples that were tray-packed/individually sold.
The potentially-affected product can be identified by the following lot numbers printed on the bag label and/or bag-closure clip:
- Fuji: NOI 163, 165, 167, 169, 174
- Honeycrisp: NOI 159, 160, 173
- Golden Delicious: NOI 168
- Gala: NOI 164, 166 on either the product labels and/or bag-closure clip.
The recall was the result of a routine sampling program at the Nyblad Orchards, Inc. facility which revealed that finished products contained Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. No illnesses have been reported to date.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at 616-887-9568 or toll-free at 1-800-348-0834 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET) and ask for Lisa Ingalls.