School officials investigate candy after 8 students fall ill
HENRY COUNTY, Ga. - Several students were sent to area hospitals after falling ill and officials are investigating if candy is to blame.
It happened at Austin Road Middle School Friday afternoon. School officials said at least eight children ate something that came from outside the school and became ill.
School officials said they are not sure how the candy got into the school, but that will be part of the investigation. School police said they will likely prosecute when they fine the person responsible if it is appropriate to do so.
All the children were transported to area hospitals for treatment. They were listed in stable condition at Piedmont Henry Hospital early Friday evening and five students were eventually released.
“We talked to the students who have been sick. They gave us information and of course our school resource officers are examining that. But then again, that is why we’re concerned because we don’t know how far-reaching this is; how many kids ingested this beyond the eight that exhibited symptoms,” said a spokesperson for Henry County Schools.
FOX 5's George Franco spoke with a father of one of the students who said his son told him they were eating gummy bear which was laced with medicinal marijuana. A school spokesperson said a lab test will help them determine exactly with what the candy was laced.