WASHINGTON (FOX 13) - A parasite found in plastic vegetable trays sold under the Florida-based Del Monte brand has sickened at least 212 people in the Midwest.
The outbreak is caused by the cyclospora parasite was first tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in mid-June, after 78 people were reported ill across the region.
Del Monte issued a voluntary recall for all 6-oz. and 12-oz trays containing carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and dill dip. The CDC said people have been sickened in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan. Seven people have been hospitalized.
Systems associated with cyclosporiasis are watery diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, cramping, bloating, nausea and fatigue. The recalled products have a “Best If Enjoyed By” date of June 17, 2018.
The agency said the infected trays were sold at Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond’s, Sentry, Potash, Meehan’s, Country Market, Foodmax and Peapod. The investigation is ongoing and the CDC will provide updates when more information is available.