GBI: Man accused of shooting Forest Park officers killed by police

Image 1 of 29

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has released new information about a shooting Wednesday that left two Forest Park police officers injured and a suspect dead. 

App users: View full article 

According to investigators, suspect Jacob Bailey shot two Forest Park police officers after a traffic stop Wednesday. The officers, identified as Tim Sterrett and Demarkus Hutcherson, fired back. The GBI said Bailey was killed by one of the officers' bullets during the exchange of gunfire.

It all started around 10:45 a.m. Wednesday when police said they pulled over a motorcyclist, later identified as Bailey, in the 4700 block of Mitchell Street in Forest Park after receiving a report of a reckless motorcyclist without a helmet.

Sterrett and Hutcherson followed Bailey behind a house located on Mitchell Street and when they rounded the corner, gunshots were exchanged. That's when both officers were struck. 

Thursday morning, police said Officer Sterrett, who was rushed to the hospital in critical condition after being shot in the neck area, is showing signs of improvement. He underwent surgery Wednesday night at Grady Memorial Hospital, where he's expected to remain in the ICU for a while. 

One of the officers were released from the hospital on Thursday. 

Officer Hutcherson, who was shot in the leg, is recovering well at Atlanta Medical Center, according to police. 


Officers from several different agencies swarmed the area Wednesday to search for the gunman. Police said Bailey was found behind a home. 

“I think I counted five different agencies that came,” said Major Christ Matson, Forest Park Police Department. “We are one big family and when someone needs help or is hurt, that is what we do.”

The area immediately surrounding the area was shut down for several hours as investigators combed over the scenes for evidence. The shooting happened just yards away from Forest Park Middle School. The school immediately went on lockdown.

Bailey’s body was taken to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s Crime Lab for an autopsy.

Matson said both officers have been with the agency for two years.

The GBI will be investigating the officers' use of their weapons in the incident, a standard practice for the police department in these type of situations.