Third man gets life for fatal shooting of off-duty cop during failed robbery

Image 1 of 2

CHICAGO (STMW) - A third man was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday for the 2010 murder of off-duty Chicago Police officer Thomas Wortham IV.

Cook County Judge Timothy Joyce said he believes 24-year-old Marcus Floyd had amnesia from the injuries he suffered in the shootout that led to the 30-year-old officer’s death on May 19, 2010.

But he said “just because Marcus Floyd doesn’t remember what happened, it doesn’t mean what took place didn’t happen.”

Floyd, convicted in October, was the third and final person to be tried for Wortham’s shooting during a failed armed robbery outside his parents’ Chatham home.

Two other men who served as lookouts—Paris McGee, 26, and Toyious Taylor, 35—were previously convicted of the fatal shooting and are serving life sentences.

Floyd stood up and addressed the court before he was sentenced. Wiping tears with his beige jail shirt, he reminded everyone that his family lost someone in the incident as well.

Floyd’s cousin, 20-year-old Brian Floyd, died in the shootout with Wortham and his father, retired Chicago Police Sgt. Thomas Wortham III.

Marcus Floyd was severely wounded.

Marcus Floyd said Wortham III testified he only fired that night “to make it justified.” Floyd said if the “shoe was on the other foot” and he shot at someone because he thought they had a gun, he’d be in the same predicament.

A separate Cook County jury in August ruled that Marcus Floyd was fit to stand trial.

His attorneys had argued that he suffered from “retrograde amnesia” as a result of his injuries and couldn’t recall what led to Wortham IV’s death.

The Wortham family, who gave victim-impact statements in court, did not comment after the sentencing hearing.

The younger Wortham was visiting his parents after returning from a second tour of duty in Iraq with the Army National Guard when he was gunned down.

Wortham IV wanted to show his parents pictures of his recent travels as well as his new Yamaha motorcycle. He was with that bike while his dad looked on from his porch when two men approached at 85th and King Drive.

Thomas Wortham III said he saw a heavy-set man, who prosecutors identified as Floyd’s cousin, point a gun at his son’s head.

Wortham III, who also saw Floyd with his hand pointed toward Wortham IV, shouted at the men to leave his son alone.

After Wortham IV identified himself as a police officer, gunfire erupted.

Wortham III went into the house to get a weapon and told his wife to call 911 before running back to help his son.

Wortham III said McGee—who was trying to usher his cohorts into the car driven by Taylor—fired at him before jumping back into the car and fleeing without the Floyds.