68 shot — 5 fatally — over Fourth of July weekend

Image 1 of 6

Chicago police investigate the scene where 5 people where shot July 5, 2019, in the 1600 block of East 67th Street. Justin Jackson/Sun-Times

At least 5 people were killed and 63 others wounded in gun violence across Chicago over the long Fourth of July holiday weekend.

More than 1,500 police officers were scheduled to work extra hours to stem the violence that seems to repeat every July Fourth in Chicago, but shootings on Independence Day left two dead and 14 wounded.

On Friday, three were killed and 17 were wounded; Saturday saw 15 people shot, none fatally; 17 people were wounded on Sunday and there were no reported shootings Monday before 5 a.m.

At the Navy Pier fireworks display, a major city holiday celebration ended in chaos as three people were stabbed and more than a dozen others were trampled in a subsequent stampede.

In fatal gun violence, a man was killed and another wounded Friday evening in Austin on the West Side. They were standing on a sidewalk in the 300 block of North Laramie Avenue at 7 p.m. when two males approached on foot and fired shots, Chicago police said. The shooters left in a gray car.

Tory Terry, 40, was shot in the abdomen and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died, police and the Cook County medical examiner's office said. A 65-year-old man was shot in his face, arm and back of the head, authorities said. He was taken in critical condition to the same hospital.

Before dawn Friday, two people were killed in separate incidents within minutes of each other.

About 2:55 a.m., a 22-year-old woman was on the street in the 4200 block of South Wells Street in Fuller Park when a male approached her and shot her in the head, police and the Cook County medical examiner's office said.

Akeelah D. Addison was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities. She lived in Marquette Park. According to social media posts, Addison was the niece of Felon Smith, the woman fatally struck by Red Line train as she retrieved a dropped cellphone.

Less than 10 minutes earlier, a man was killed and a woman hurt in a double shooting in Austin on the West Side.

They were involved in a fight about 2:47 a.m. Friday outside in the 900 block of North Lavergne Avenue when a male pulled out a gun and opened fire, police said. Oliver Booth, 37, was struck in the chest, authorities said. An acquaintance took him to West Suburban Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The 32-year-old woman was hit twice in the arm and took herself to Stroger Hospital, police said. Her condition was stabilized.

On Thursday, another man was killed and three others were wounded in Humboldt Park on the West Side. The group was standing outside about 11:30 a.m. near Iowa Street and Homan Avenue when a car drove by and someone inside fired shots, police said.

A 32-year-old man was killed, authorities said. The medical examiner's office has not released details on his death. A 31-year-old man was treated for a gunshot wound to the leg, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the body and a 23-year-old man was shot in the leg.

Before dawn Thursday, a woman was killed after struggling over a weapon in a home in West Garfield Park. About 1:30 a.m., 34-year-old Lisheka Haggard was with a male inside a home in the 4300 block of West Wilcox Street when one of them pulled out a gun, authorities said.

The weapon discharged as the two fought over it, police said. Haggard was hit in the head and was pronounced on the scene. Her death was ruled a homicide.

In non-fatal shootings, four people were wounded Sunday in Englewood on the South Side.

They were on the sidewalk about 3:43 a.m. in the 5600 block of South Paulina Street when someone fired shots from a black SUV, police said.

A 31-year-old man struck in the leg was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition, police said. A woman, 22, was shot in the back and taken to the same hospital. Her condition was stabilized.

A 21-year-old woman who was shot in the foot had her condition stabilized at St. Bernard Hospital, police said. Another woman, 32, was hit in the leg and her was condition stabilized at Stroger Hospital.

Additionally, five people were injured in a single shooting shortly after 2 a.m. Friday in Woodlawn. Officers responded to reports of shots fired and arrived to find multiple people wounded.

An 18-year-old woman who was struck in the chest and arm was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, police said. An 18-year-old man was taken to the same hospital with gunshot wounds to his leg and chest. Both of their conditions were stabilized. A 33-year-old man who was shot twice in the back was also taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition, police said.

A 20-year-old woman was struck in the ankle and took herself to Stroger Hospital, and a 26-year-old man was taken to the same hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg, police said. Both were in good conditions.

At least 50 others were hurt by gun violence across Chicago from 12:20 a.m. on the Fourth of July to 5 a.m. Monday.