CHICAGO - A group accused of armed robberies along Chicago's Mag Mile is now suspected in dozens of other robberies throughout the city.
Chicago police believe the group has committed nearly two dozen robberies, with 17 happening in just a nine-hour span overnight from June 3 to June 4, starting in Lincoln Park and ending on the Near West Side.
Police believe the same group of men is responsible. Many of the robberies have happened in heavy tourist areas, including near Michigan Avenue.
One of the most recent incidents took place on Tuesday in the 100 block of East Grand. A family of four was held at gunpoint and robbed of their wallets and cellphones.
Police say the robberies have taken place in the late evening and early morning hours.
Police describe the thieves as four to eight African American men, with their ages ranging from 15 to 20-years-old.
Police say the group is armed with handguns and wearing dark hooded sweatshirts and masks.
In each instance, several people approached a victim, showed handguns and stole their property, police said.
Robberies also took place in the Old Town and South Loop neighborhoods.
Police are advising the public to report suspicious activity and if you are confronted by the group, remain calm and do not resist.
The robberies happened:
- 9 p.m. June 3 in the 1900 block of North Hudson Avenue;
- 2 a.m. June 4 in the 5300 block of South Blackstone Avenue;
- 2:45 a.m. June 4 in the 100 block of East Grand Avenue;
- 3 a.m. June 4 in the 100 block of West North Avenue;
- 3:10 a.m. June 4 in the 1600 block of North Throop Street;
- 3:20 a.m. June 4 in the 1600 block of West Belmont Avenue;
- 3:30 a.m. June 4 in the 1600 block of West Irving Park Road;
- 3:45 a.m. June 4 in the 4800 block of North Western Avenue;
- 3:50 a.m. June 4 in the 1800 block of West Peterson Avenue;
- 4:50 a.m. June 4 in the 500 block of West Roosevelt Road;
- 5 a.m. June 4 in the 2300 block of West 24th Street (two robberies)
- 5:30 a.m. June 4 in the 1400 block of South State Street;
- 6 a.m. June 4 in the 1100 block of West Congress Parkway;
- 6:15 am. June 4 in the 200 block of East Lower Illinois Street;
- 6:20 a.m. June 4 in the 300 block of East Ohio Street;
- 6:30 a.m. June 4 in the 1100 block of West Van Buren Street;
- 10:15 p.m. June 15 in the 100 block of West Cullerton Street;
- 10:15 p.m. June 15 in the 2300 block of South Wentworth Avenue;
- 10:40 p.m. June 15 in the 200 block of East Superior Street;
- 10:45 p.m. June 15 in the 100 block of East Grand Avenue.
Police asked anyone with information to call Area Three detectives at (312) 744-8263.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.