Reinsdorf: 'Complete faith' in White Sox execs after LaRoche flap
Jerry Reinsdorf (Thomas Hawk/Flickr)
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — The chairman of the Chicago White Sox says he has "complete faith" in his team's front office in the aftermath of the Adam LaRoche flap.
Jerry Reinsdorf released a statement Sunday saying he's met with LaRoche, team executives and some players. He said he has "complete faith" in the skills and abilities of club's leadership group.
LaRoche left the team earlier this week after being told by executive Kenny Williams to cut down his 14-year-old son's clubhouse access. The first baseman said he planned to retire.
The situation quickly bubbled up, with many White Sox players backing LaRoche. Star pitcher Chris Sale implied Williams had misled the team.
"As with many things in life, much of this was a result of miscommunication and misunderstanding rather than this being a case of anyone not telling the truth," Reinsdorf said.
"I do not believe there is anyone to directly blame in this situation. While there is no doubt this might have been handled differently ... this is an internal matter that we have discussed and now resolved," he said.
Reinsdorf issued the following statement Sunday:
"I have taken the past few days to personally meet with everyone involved, including Adam LaRoche, members of our front office, uniformed staff and some of our active players. I continue to have nothing but the greatest regard for Adam – in fact, my respect for him has grown during this process -- and I applaud his desire to spend more time with his family."
"I continue to have complete faith in the skills and abilities of the leadership group of our baseball operations department in Ken Williams, Rick Hahn and Robin Ventura. I also appreciate the passion and commitment to one another shown by our players, Robin, our coaching staff and our front office. As with many things in life, much of this was a result of miscommunication and misunderstanding rather than this being a case of anyone not telling the truth. I do not believe there is anyone to directly blame in this situation. While there is no doubt this might have been handled differently, the fact remains that this is an internal matter that we have discussed and now resolved."
"Per my request, White Sox employees will no longer discuss this matter publicly. I felt it was appropriate to release this statement to close the issue for everyone in the organization – from the front office to the players in the clubhouse – so we can focus on Opening Day and winning baseball games for our fans. I am fully confident this matter will soon be behind us and that we will grow even stronger and more united as a team and as an organization. "