Family demands justice for cab driver killed in confrontation with Uber driver

It was a fatal kick captured on camera.

Now, the family of a Chicago taxi driver killed during a confrontation with an Uber driver is demanding justice.

They don't understand why three months later no charges have been filed in the case.

"These images will haunt me for the rest of my life,” said Omar Tungekar, the victim’s son.

The family of Anis Tungekar says the Pakistani immigrant had worked grueling hours driving a cab for years in order to give them a shot at the American dream. Now, they're living through a nightmare.

"How can something this shocking happen in downtown Chicago without charges even being filed?" Omar said.

On September 2nd, Anis got into a confrontation with an Uber driver. His family says the Uber clipped the taxi's mirror.

Surveillance video shows them pulling over near the corner of Jefferson and Madison. You can see Anis presumably arguing with the Uber driver and then he walks over to the passenger side and pushes in the collapsible mirror.

The Uber driver gets out of the car and with little warning, delivers a roundhouse kick, striking Anis in the head.

The taxi driver collapsed and never regained consciousness. He died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital two days later.

"The night that my father died his killer was released from custody without charges. And here we are three months later still waiting for someone to acknowledge that it's a crime to kick somebody to death in the City of Chicago,” Omar said.

In a statement, a spokeswoman for Uber says: "This is a horrible tragedy... As soon as we were made aware, we immediately removed this (driver's) access from the platform. We will fully cooperate with law enforcement."

And a spokeswoman for Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx says: "This incident is the subject of a continuing police investigation."

But the family's lawyer says it's time for action.

"We have waited patiently for weeks and the family for months to go forward. And we're not gonna’ wait any more,” said attorney Michael Gallagher.