The 26-year-old was standing outside around 3:26 a.m. when he was approached by a gunman who demanded his belongs in the 500 block of North State Street, police said.
When the victim refused to hand over his stuff, a struggle ensued and he was shot in the wrist, police said.
The victim was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was listed in good condition, police said.
The gunman fled the scene on foot.
No one is in custody as Area Three detectives investigate.
Police issued an alert Wednesday, warning that a group of people driving around in a white Nissan Rogue with Florida plates have been targeting pedestrians from Lake View to Chinatown over the past three days. They wear black clothing and black ski masks and are armed.
The robberies have taken place at the following times and locations:
- 1000 block of West Hubbard Street at 11:20 p.m. Monday
- 300 block of Easter Lower North Water Street at 11:30 p.m. Monday
- 400 block of West Elm Street at 1:53 a.m. Tuesday
- 300 block of North Green Street at 12:05 a.m. Wednesday
- 300 block of East Wacker Street at 12:25 a.m. Wednesday
- 400 block of North Green Street at 12:03 a.m. Wednesday
- 200 block of North Canal Street at 12:30 a.m. Wednesday
- 2300 block of South Wentworth Avenue at 2:11 a.m. Wednesday
- 3200 block of North Broadway at 2:50 a.m. Wednesday
The public is asked to be alert and call Area Three detectives at (312) 744-8263 if they have any information.