Chef Julius joined us on FOX 32 News at Noon to show us how to make a delicious meal!
Duck Confit Braised Cabbage with Pears & Sautéed Prawns
- 4 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 confit duck leg (skin and meat removed)
- ¼ cup diced pear
- 1 medium shallot (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- Chef Julius Salt Blend
- Chef Julius Pepper Blend
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 10 prawns (VERY LARGE)
- Louisiana Pepper Sauce (optional)
- Place a large sauté pan on medium/high heat for 2 minutes
- Add the shredded duck meat and skin. Cook until skin is crisp, remove from the pan and lower the heat.
- In the reserved duck fat, add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next add half of your olive oil, mustard and half of your cayenne pepper
- Sauté this mixture until the mustard is well incorporated and then add the cabbage
- The cabbage will take up a lot of space and has to be cooked down. Sauté about 5 minutes until it STARTS to wilt.
- Next add the crispy duck meat (not the skin) and some salt and pepper. Sauté this mix for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, cider and half of the stock. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning and spice.
- Add the diced pear, cover and lower the heat for 5 minutes…then remove from pilot.
- In a separate pan add the remaining olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Season the prawns with salt, pepper and cayenne. Place prawns into a hot pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes (depending on the size) Prawns are done when they turn pink.
- Place cabbage in the center of the dish, place the prawns on top of the cabbage…garnish with crispy duck skin and hot sauce!