1 dead, 11 wounded in shootings Tuesday across Chicago

CHICAGO (STMW) - One man was killed and at least 11 other people were wounded in shootings Tuesday across Chicago.

The man was killed and a woman was injured in a Chatham neighborhood shooting on the South Side.

Tracey Morgan, 25, was sitting in a vehicle with a 56-year-old woman in the 8200 block of South Lafayette about 8:30 p.m., when another vehicle approached and someone inside opened fire, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Morgan, of the 7800 bock of South Hoyne, was shot in the abdomen and the woman was shot in the arm, authorities said.

They were both taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where Morgan was pronounced dead at 9:27 p.m., authorities said. The woman’s condition was stabilized.

Morgan was on parole for a 2012 conviction of unlawful use or possession of a weapon by a felon, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Most recently, a 29-year-old man was seriously wounded in a shooting in the Galewood neighborhood on the Northwest Side. He was walking on the sidewalk in the 2200 block of North Merrimac about 10:30 p.m. when a male got out of a dark-colored SUV and fired shots at him, police said. The man was shot in the abdomen and right leg and taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood in serious condition. A police source said the man is a documented gang member.

About two hours earlier, three men were injured in a Rogers Park neighborhood drive-by shooting on the North Side. The three were standing on the sidewalk in the 2000 block of West Howard about 8:30 p.m. when a dark-colored vehicle drove by and someone inside opened fire, police said. One 30-year-old man was shot in the right ankle. Another man, 39, was shot in the torso and ankle, while a third man, 40, was shot in the buttocks, police said. All three were taken to Presence Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, where their conditions were all stabilized. A police source said all three men are documented gang members.

About 8:15 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side. The teen was standing outside in the 4200 block of West Crystal when he heard shots and felt pain, police said. He took himself to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where he was listed in good condition.

About an hour earlier, another shooting in Chatham left a 17-year-old boy wounded. The teen suffered a graze wound to his ear about 7:10 p.m. in the 7900 block of South State, police said. He was taken to Saint Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center, where his condition stabilized.

About 6:15 p.m., a man was shot in the Belmont Cragin neighborhood on the Northwest Side. The 20-year-old was walking in the 2700 block of North Austin when someone rode up to him on a bike and shot him in the knee, police said. The man took himself to Community First Medical Center, where he was listed in good condition.

A 4:35 p.m. shooting in the South Side West Englewood neighborhood left a 24-year-old man wounded. He was outside in the 6400 block of South Hermitage when a gunman walked out of an alley, opened fire and then ran away, police said. The man was taken to Christ Medical Center in good condition.

Tuesday’s first shooting occurred about 8:50 a.m. in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side.

Two men, both 25, were walking in the 200 block of East 51st Street at 8:50 a.m. when numerous shots were fired from a passing black car, according to police. One of the men was shot in the shoulder and buttocks; and the other man was shot in the hand, police said. Both were taken to Stroger Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized.

Officers responding to the shooting saw a car matching the vehicle described and tried to pull it over, but the driver kept going, police said. The car later crashed and rolled over in the 3500 block of South King Drive.

Two males were inside the car, police said. One suffered minor, non-life-threatening injuries, and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. The other suspect is in police custody.

Police said a weapon was recovered. Charges were pending as of Tuesday morning.