CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - A mass shooting at a memorial Wednesday night on the South Side left six people wounded, including a 12-year-old boy.
About 8:15 p.m., officers responding to a calls of shots fired found the victims inside a restaurant in the 500 block of East 75th Street, according to Chicago Police.
A bullet grazed the boy’s head, and he was taken in good condition to Comer Children’s Hospital, according to police and fire officials.
A 16-year-old boy shot in the neck and a 20-year-old woman with wounds to the leg and buttocks were both taken in serious condition to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, authorities said.
A 20-year-old woman was shot in the leg and taken to Stroger Hospital along with a 34-year-old woman shot in the hand. They were in good condition. The sixth victim, a 17-year-old boy, later showed up in good condition at Jackson Park Hospital with an arm wound.
“Another gang saw them on social media and came out and shot up the memorial,” said community activist Jedidiah Brown, who added that the mother of the person being memorialized was among those shot Wednesday. “No regard for life, they shot up anybody who was there.”
Some of the victims were inside the restaurant while others were outside when the shooting occurred, according to anti-violence activist Andrew Holmes.
The shooting occurred almost exactly 24 hours after President Donald Trump threatened to “send in the Feds” if Mayor Rahm Emanuel can’t stop the “carnage” on Chicago streets.
On Tuesday night, Supt. Eddie Johnson said his department is “more than willing to work with the federal government to build on our partnerships” with the Justice Department, FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration and others.
So far in 2017, at least 43 people have been killed in Chicago, according to records kept by the Chicago Sun-Times. Last year the city recorded 780 homicides, with fewer than 500 seen in 2015.