16-year-old charged with rape of ex-girlfriend who died on way to hospital

FOX 5 News (WTTG) -- Police in Montgomery County say a teenage girl on the way to the hospital for an examination died after being raped by a 16-year-old boy.

The accused teenager of the attack is a sophomore student at Winston Churchill High School in Potomac.

The incident happened on June 12 starting off as a night at the movies in the heart of Rockville Town Center.

Court documents say the 16-year-old suspect, Marquiz Turner, charged as an adult in this case, told investigators he and the 19-year-old victim had been dating for about a month. He wanted to have sex with her inside the theater, but she told him no.

Investigators say after leaving the movie theater and heading to their car, Turner attacked his date along a wall outside the Montgomery County Circuit Courthouse.

The alleged rape occurred underneath a surveillance camera and was witnessed by courthouse security. Sheriff's deputies inside the building were called and they rushed outside and interrupted the crime.

"Luckily through the good work of security guards and sheriffs here at the courthouse, they were able to apprehend this defendant," said Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office spokesperson Ramon Korionoff.

According to the court documents, investigators say Turner admitted forcing sex on the victim.

Deputies called an ambulance to take her to the hospital for an examination, but she stopped breathing on the way and was pronounced dead at the hospital. The cause of her death is still under investigation.

In the charging documents, when discussing his desire to have sex with the victim, Turner told investigators he was unwilling to accept no for an answer. But he also knew that he was wrong.

"Currently, he is being charged with second-degree rape," said Korionoff. "This is a situation where unfortunately she died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and we are awaiting the medical examiner's report to fully understand what transpired before we make any further charging decisions."

Investigators say when Turner learned of his date's death while still being questioned by police, he showed very little emotion.