5 children hospitalized after ingesting 'edibles' at Chicago elementary school

Five children were transported to the hospital after ingesting what was believed to be marijuana edibles at a Chicago elementary school on Monday.

The Chicago Fire Department (CFD) responded to George Leland Elementary School at 512 S. Lavergne on the city's West Side this afternoon.

CFD stated that the five children were transported to Mt. Sinai and West Suburban hospitals in good condition.

The school's principal sent a letter to parents, saying, "we were made aware that some members of our school community had ingested an unknown substance in the form of gummy edibles. Out of an abundance of caution, notifications were made to ensure these individuals received medical attention. Everyone is safe."

The letter added, "we encourage you to take this opportunity to have a conversation with your child about the health risks associated with consuming edibles, and to remind them not to accept food if they do not know where it came from."

No further information was immediately available.