At least 22 Kia and Hyundais stolen on Chicago's NW Side in 5 days
CHICAGO - Over 20 cars were stolen during a five-day stretch this January across Chicago's Northwest Side.
Each incident involved either a Kia or Hyundai, according to a CPD community alert.
The thefts occurred at all hours of the day.
"It’s to the point where you can’t walk out here by yourself, even during the day," said Christina Bulik, a concerned neighbor. "They know exactly what time to hit, they have people that go through the neighborhoods that scour everything, then they’ve got their watchers and people in vehicles."
Police say multiple offenders are involved in the string of thefts, which occurred between Jan. 1 and Jan. 5 in Belmont Cragin, Hermosa, and surrounding neighborhoods.
SUBSCRIBE TO FOX 32 ON YOUTUBE
The thieves were reportedly wearing dark clothing and face masks at the time of the incidents, according to the CPD community alert.
In each incident, investigators say the suspects make entry into the vehicle by smashing a window. Once inside, police say the offenders force open the steering column and are able to start the car.
Hyundais and Kias across the country have recently been targeted after videos showing how to steal them went viral on social media.
"I keep mine in my garage for the same reason too, because I don’t want it to be stolen or me come out the house one day and one of my rims are missing," said Anthony Medina.
Police said all of the vehicles in this theft spree were cars with a key ignition.
Steering wheels locks are recommended to deter thieves.
Police also suggest installing surveillance cameras, and when possible, to park in a secure garage or in an area with heavy pedestrian traffic.
The vehicle thefts happened at the following times and locations.
- At 3 a.m. on Jan. 1 in the 1600 block of North Cicero Avenue
- At 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 1 in the 4600 block of West North Avenue
- At 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 1 in the 2300 block of North Keeler Avenue
- At 3 p.m. on Jan. 2 in the 1600 block of North Natchez Avenue
- At midnight on Jan. 3 in the 4400 block of West Cortland Street
- At 5 p.m. on Jan. 3 in the 1600 block of North Lamon Avenue
- At 10 p.m. on Jan. 3 in the 3000 block of North Harlem Avenue
- At midnight on Jan. 4 in the 3000 block of North Nottingham Avenue
- At 2:30 a.m. on Jan. 4 in the 2100 block of North Nashville Avenue
- At 4 a.m. on Jan. 4 in the 2900 block of North Natchez Avenue
- At 3 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the 1400 block of North Cicero Avenue
- At 4 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the 4400 block of North Deming Place
- At 6 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the 1300 block of North Lawndale Avenue
- At 6 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the 2900 block of North Mason Avenue
- At 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 4 in the 2200 block of North Central Avenue
- At 10 p.m. on Jan 4 in the 6700 block of West Wrightwood Avenue
- At 2 a.m. on Jan. 5 in the 6100 block of West Diversey Avenue
- At 8 a.m. on Jan. 5 in the 4800 block of West St Paul Avenue
- At 5 p.m. on Jan. 5 in the 1900 block of North Tripp Avenue
- At 6 p.m. on Jan. 5 in the 4800 block of West Potomac Avenue
- At 8 p.m. on Jan. 5 in the 1700 block of North Laramie Avenue
- At 11 p.m. on Jan. 5 in the 1200 block of North Massasoit Avenue
Anyone with information is asked to contact Area Five detectives at (312) 746-7394.