Man charged with shooting in North Chicago found in Zion 2 years later

Torrey L. Tyler | Lake County sheriff's office

A North Chicago man wanted in connection with a two-year-old shooting in the north suburb was taken into custody last week in Zion.

Torrey L. Tyler, 26, was taken into custody on a warrant charging him with felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, aggravated discharge of a firearm, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and reckless discharge of a weapon, according to a statement from the Lake County sheriff’s office.

Tyler was being held at the Lake County Jail on $500,000 bail, the sheriff’s office said.

The charges stem from a 2016 incident in which Tyler shot a person in the leg during an argument in North Chicago, the sheriff’s office said.

Tyler was believed to have fled the state to avoid arrest following the shooting, the sheriff’s office said. But on Monday, the sheriff’s office and the U.S. Marshals Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force learned he returned to Waukegan and was staying at an apartment in the 800 block of Greenwood Avenue.

Authorities got inside the apartment Tuesday, but Tyler had already left prior to their arrival, the sheriff’s office said. Narcotics and guns were recovered from the home.

A juvenile who had been reported missing was also found inside the apartment and was reunited with family, according to the sheriff’s office. Additional information about the juvenile was not provided.

On Thursday, authorities learned Tyler was staying at an apartment in the area of Horeb Avenue and Salem Boulevard in Zion, the sheriff’s office said. They set up surveillance and watched him get inside a vehicle with a woman, later identified as Yvonne D. Spates, 24, of Zion.

The vehicle was stopped and both were taken into custody, the sheriff’s office said. Cocaine and heroin were found during a subsequent search of Tyler and Spates.

Spates was charged with drug possession and released from the jail after posting bond, the sheriff’s office said. Her next court date was scheduled for Feb. 5.

Tyler’s next court date was scheduled for Feb. 13, the sheriff’s office said.