With the cold winter months among us, it is only fitting that you dust off your Dutch oven and prepare the perfect comfort stew! This Spicy Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Kale Stew is a rich explosion of flavor! From the red wine, chicken stock, roasted garlic, thyme and lemon and smoked tomato purée - this stew is a winterized treat.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1-lb spicy chicken sausage
- 2 cans of cannellini white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup poblano peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Creole spice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup leaks, cleaned and chopped
- ½ fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken stock (low or no sodium)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup CHEF BLEND Hot Sauce (www.judsontoddallen.com)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons, parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup of parsley, chopped
- Preset oven to 425 degrees. Add, onions, peppers, leaks, thyme and tomatoes to a sheet tray and top with 1-teaspoon olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil, spices and sausage. Cook until nicely caramelized. Add garlic.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven and add to stew. Add stock, lemon juice and wine and bring to a boil.
- Add beans to the stew and kale. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with grate parm cheese and parsley and crusty bread.