A parent's nightmare: brother, sister found dead from heroin overdose

Image 1 of 3

A couple in Warren is devastated after their two grown children suffer a fatal overdose - the same day.

The heroin epidemic is becoming a deadly trend in metro Detroit and these parents have a warning for families.

The parents did everything they could to help their kids break their addiction but ended up losing both.

"One minute you have a family, the next day you come home you don't have a family," said Peggy Babinski. "It's just not fair."

Peggy and Edward Babinski are fighting through unbearable pain. Just 24 hours ago they returned to their Warren home and discovered their 41 year-old son Edward and 28-year-old daughter Heather dead in a back bedroom. It is believed both died from a heroin overdose.

"This is horrible," Peggy said. "If they could have seen what I had to see, your children laying there dead. It is so senseless, it is so stupid."

This is not the first time this family has lived through unthinkable tragedy. The Babinskis, who have been married for 43 years, had four children.

Sadly, in 1995 their 18 year-old daughter Chrissy, was hit and killed by a drunk driver. A few years later their 36-year-old daughter Denni died from medical complications.

Not long after, Edward Jr. and Heather, grew close after losing their siblings and became addicted to heroin. Their parents say they did everything in their power to help them get clean.

"We went through so much with both of them, taking them to the clinics and everything," said Edward Babinski.

"Taking them to every meeting, seven days a week," Peggy said. "Every single day and it still wasn't enough."

Heather and Edward were clean for a year and a half until last Monday when the Babinskis' remaining two children relapsed.

"Why can't people stop and think before they do this stuff," Peggy said. "They don't just hurt themselves they hurt their whole family.  I have no children left because of this drug."

Edward and Peggy say they never saw any signs. Both were happy and both were working. Both seemed okay.

But something drew their kids back to the lethal drug, likely laced with something, and by the time they knew - it was too late.

"It is bad as it can get," Edward said. "The signs weren't there. They were doing what they were supposed to do and it still happened. They need to get this stuff off the street."

Police are trying. The Babinskis say they took the drugs as evidence and their cell phones - to try and determine who is responsible for selling the drug.

If you would like to help the family, PLEASE CLICK HERE for the GoFundMe created to help the parents pay for a double funeral.