Parolee wounded in shootout with cops fired with guns in both hands, prosecutor says

A man wounded in a shootout with Chicago police officers earlier this week was on parole for two gun cases, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.

Tramaine Harris was allegedly holding guns in both hands when he fired at officers chasing him down an alley in Lawndale Monday evening, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.

Officers shot him once in the torso, but investigators believe he may have also shot himself in the foot as he slipped and hit the ground, Murphy said.

Harris, 29, remained hospitalized for those injuries at Mount Sinai Hospital and wasn’t at Wednesday’s bond hearing for his attempted murder, aggravated assault and armed habitual criminal charges.

Before he was shot, Harris ran from two officers after the car he was traveling in was pulled over for seatbelt violations near Lexington Street and Springfield Avenue, Murphy said.

Harris bolted down an alley while holding a gun and took cover at a garage before he shot and the officers returned fired, Murphy said.

Private surveillance video shows Harris shoot one of the guns and then slip to the ground, possibly shooting himself in the foot, Murphy said. He allegedly got back up and fired at the officers three more times in the 3800 block of West Polk Street.

Harris was arrested moments later hiding under a porch.


Police recovered two guns, one with a laser sight and one with an extended magazine, Murphy said. Four shell casing were found near where Harris fired the guns, Murphy said.

The two other occupants in the car ran away and were not in custody, Murphy said.

Harris was on parole for two 2019 gun cases for which he was sentenced to prison. He was sentenced to boot camp in 2016 for an aggravated battery to an officer.

Harris is married with three children and worked for a delivery service, his defense attorney said.

Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Harris held on $2 million bail.

He is expected back in court Jan. 28.