Mother gives birth Easter Sunday with help from Chicago police officers

Image 1 of 2

Five Chicago police officers from District Three had an eventful start to the Easter holiday. They helped deliver a baby girl outside their police station at 71st and Cottage Grove around 7 a.m. after being flagged down by the baby’s grandfather.

One of the officers is a 29 year veteran of the department, and one has just 10 months on the job. They all worked together and remained calm through the experience.

The child’s mother, Kaliyah was heading to Comer Children’s Hospital with her father in hard labor when something happened.

“So I’m on the expressway and she reached down. She said, ‘Daddy, I’m bleeding!’ So, okay I start driving faster,” said Johnny Stokes.

The two were driving to Comer from their Dixmoor home.

“And she said she felt the baby’s head. So I immediately got off on 71st Street,” said Stokes.

With District Three now in view, grandpa pulled over.

"Pulled right on the sidewalk and noticed this officer was sitting in his car. I approached him. He got out his car, got his gloves, calm and cool because I was a nervous wreck,” said Stokes.

“We got out and assisted, saw that the baby was halfway out,” said Officer Lawrence Nickerson.

Officer Sean Hamil radioed for help.

“Without them, I don’t know what would’ve happened,” said Stokes.

Those inside the police station came running.

“So I immediately ran out, saw the young lady sitting in the front seat,” said Officer Nickerson.

Police remained calm even when they saw the umbilical cord was posing a problem.

“Yea, it was around the neck. The baby wasn’t moving or anything,” said Officer Hamil.

“We were able to get the baby fully out. They got the umbilical cord from around the baby’s neck,” said Officer Nickerson.

“It was a great thing. It’s a great way to start an Easter,” said Officer Hutchison.

Now, Ava’s family can’t wait until she’s old enough to know how her story began.

“I knew there was a police station here, but I was trying to make it to the hospital, but I guess the baby didn’t want to go there so. She wanted to go here so that’s where we came,” said Stokes.

Police say mom and baby are doing fine tonight.