Vigil, protest held after Chicago cop fatally shoots 16-year-old boy

Image 1 of 2

There is outrage after Chicago police shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

In Homan Square on Monday night, police pulled over a car that was connected to an earlier shooting. Police say Pierre Loury jumped out and an officer chased him.

Police say Loury then pointed a weapon at the officer and that is when he was shot. But a witness claims he saw officers "high five" each other after the teen was gunned down.

And now, protesters are demanding justice. A group held a vigil at the scene of the shooting and then marched onto the Eisenhower.

Even though the facts of this case are still far from clear, there are those on the side of Loury who claim this was not a justified shooting, despite what police say that he pointed a gun at an officer, and that the gun was recovered at the scene.

It threatened to turn ugly Tuesday night as protesters loudly and angrily confronted police in front of the station where the officers involved in the chase and shooting work. Police managed to keep order and move the protesters down the street.

Earlier, several hundred people marched down the alley to the spot where Loury was shot and killed as he ran from a police stop a block away.

“We do believe that this individual turned and pointed the handgun at the officer the handgun was recovered at the scene where the young man was shot,” said 1st Deputy Supt. John Escalante.

Police radio transmissions captured the intensity of the moment, and a neighbor facing the alley posted a video on Facebook of the scene shortly after the chaotic moment.

Loury’s mother, overcome with emotion, joined the vigil as supporters chanted against police and in support of Loury.

“They gunned down one of our brothers, they executed him. 16 years old. 16 years old. He should be here right now,” one person said at the vigil.

Police say Loury was a documented gang member. He posted a picture of himself holding a handgun on his Facebook page. People who knew him, though, did not think he would have been carrying a gun Monday night.