2 dead, 4 hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak on Chicago's Southwest Side

Two women are dead and four others, including three children, were hospitalized Friday after a gas leak in the Little Village neighborhood.

Around 1:40 p.m., crews responded to 2853 W. 22nd Place after a concerned neighbor reported smelling gas.

Upon arrival, crews had to force themselves into the home where they found two women unresponsive in the basement. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

One woman was in her 50s and the other in her 70s.


The four other victims — one adult and three children — who lived on the first floor of the home were transported to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.

Firefighters found excessively high levels of carbon monoxide in the home, according to Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt.

It’s unclear where the carbon monoxide came from, Merritt said. The gas company was on scene investigating.

No further details were immediately available.