Man charged with killing son, beating pregnant fiancee

Devon Thomas | Cook County sheriff's office

A Far South Side man killed his 3-year-old son after punching and stomping on his body and beat his pregnant fiancee when she tried to intervene, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

The woman — also the mother of Tayveon Thomas — ended up delivering her newborn prematurely hours after Tayveon died on Halloween, Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Holly Grosshans said.

Tayveon’s autopsy revealed signs of child abuse, prosecutors said.

The child had fresh cuts to his face and scalp, abdominal interior bleeding and lung contusions, Grosshans said.

Devon Thomas first punched Tayveon several times in front of the boy’s mother on Sunday, Grosshans said.

When the 23-year-old woman tried to stop Thomas, he allegedly choked her until she lost consciousness.

Tayveon vomited and had a stomach ache as a result, Grosshans said. His mother ended up giving him generic Pepto-Bismol.

The next day at the couple’s apartment, in the 12000 block of South Green Street, 22-year-old Thomas punched Tayveon several times in the chest and torso, Grosshans said.

He went on to stomp on the boy with his boots on his legs, arms and body, Grosshans said.

At that time, Tayveon’s mother came into the room to give him medicine. When she saw the boy being beaten, she tried to intervene. But Thomas slapped her across the face, knocking her into the wall, and grabbed her by her ponytail, Grosshans said.

Thomas ended up dragging his fiancee by her hair to the front room of their apartment where they started arguing, Grosshans said.

The woman eventually went back to check on Tayveon. She saw him lying face down on the bed with his body against the wall, Grosshans said.

Tayveon’s mother began chest compressions and CPR on him and called Thomas, who called 911 and continued with the chest compressions until Chicago Fire Department officials arrived, Grosshans said.

Tayveon was taken to Roseland Hospital where he died Monday afternoon, Grosshans said.

A few hours later, his 8-month pregnant mother began having chest pain and gave birth, Grosshans said.

Thomas later admitted to detectives that he punched his son in the chest four times and kicked him once in the stomach, Grosshans said.

Thomas works at temp agency, an assistant public defender said.

Judge Laura Sullivan ordered Thomas held without bond for murder and aggravated battery. His next court date is Nov. 22.