Retired Chicago police officer fatally shot on West Side, suspect on the run

A retired Chicago police officer and bomb technician was murdered on the city's West Side, and the shooter is still on the run, according to the Chicago Police Department.

The former officer has been identified as 73-year-old Larry Neuman.

Now, the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation, ATF Chicago and FBI Chicago are offering a combined $75,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in his murder.

The department’s longest-serving explosives technician, Neuman is being remembered as a trailblazer in his field and someone who – even after retirement – continued to dedicate his life to serving others.

"He was a good man. He was a role model," said Gene Roy, retired CPD Chief of Detectives.

The shooting happened around 11:30 a.m. Thursday in the 4300 block of W. Monroe Street – just steps from Neuman’s West Garfield Park home.

Neuman suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Chicago police.

CPD's Bomb Squad and other members of the department escorted Neuman's body from the hospital to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office on Thursday afternoon.

"To see him die in such a senseless, tragic, needless manner, it’s terribly upsetting," said Roy.

In the hours following his murder, touching tributes came pouring in.

"Larry was a man deeply dedicated to his family, his city, his country – he was a combat veteran of the Marines in Vietnam," said Roy.

Neuman joined the Chicago Police Department the early 1980s, moving to the Bomb & Arson Section in 1988. He retired from CPD in 2010, according to police.

The Chicago Police Bomb Squad issued a statement on Neuman's passing, shared below:

"He was one of the first African American bomb techs with the Chicago Police Department," said Roy.  

Roy was Neuman's former unit commander and says he inspired countless generations who came after him.

"He was a calm, steady individual on the scene of an incident," said Roy. "Always had good, sound advice when things got a little rocky, and he was somebody that was well-respected, well-liked and that people looked up to."

In his retirement years, Neuman became a minister at his neighborhood church: Saint Michael Missionary Baptist.

"When he retired from the CPD, he didn’t retire from his life of service to the city," said Roy.

"Just an all-out good person," said Ald. Jason Ervin, 28th Ward. "This is a tough loss today for the City of Chicago."

Until his death, Neuman worked for the TSA at both Midway International Airport and O'Hare International Airport.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) issued this statement, shared below:

"Larry Neuman, a Transportation Security Specialist-Explosives, joined TSA in 2010 and worked at both O’Hare and Midway airports during his career. In his current position, Larry trained the screening workforce at both airports to detect explosives and other potential threats. We are deeply saddened by his passing and extend our condolences to his family, friends and colleagues."

Born and raised in Chicago, Neuman graduated from Austin High School in 1968, according to a longtime friend.

He is survived by his wife and children.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.

No arrests have yet been made. The investigation is ongoing.