Isaac Goodlow III: Carol Stream board meeting gets heated after release of body-cam video

A board meeting in Carol Stream grew heated Monday night as family members of Isaac Goodlow III confronted village trustees.

Goodlow, 30, was shot and killed by officers last month while they responded to a domestic disturbance at his apartment, located at 260 East St. Charles Road.

Body-camera video of the shooting was released to the public Friday, but Goodlow's family said they still have more questions than answers.

In the early morning hours of Saturday, Feb. 3, police said they were called by a woman who identified herself as Goodlow's girlfriend. She said the two had just been in a physical altercation.

After 45 minutes of trying to contact Goodlow, police said six officers entered his unit with a key obtained by a representative from the apartment complex.

As they approached his bedroom, Police Chief Donald Cummings said two officers discharged their weapons and another deployed a taser. Goodlow was shot in the chest and died.

In a statement following the shooting, police called the situation "tense," but haven't shared specifics, including what exactly led officers to fire.


Videos released of Carol Stream police fatally shooting Isaac Goodlow III

Carol Stream police released a 33-minute video showing the moments officers shot and killed a man in his apartment while responding to a domestic disturbance last month.

Goodlow’s mother, Bonnie Pigram, said her son was sleeping at the time and is demanding answers from the village.

While there were no items pertaining to the shooting on Monday’s meeting agenda, it was the subject of public comment for over an hour, where emotions were running high.

"You, council, have a hurricane, a hailstorm, a firestorm across America," said one activist.  

Goodlow's loved ones, along with community activists, are calling for the names of the officers involved to be released.

During the meeting, one of Goodlow’s sisters, Kennetha Barnes, addressed Chief Cummings directly.

"You need to be honest. Your boys messed up, you're embarrassed, you're ashamed, deal with it," said Barnes.

Prior to the meeting, the family met for a rally outside.

"This is very important that their voices are heard. The pain that the mother is going through – the family is hurting and we're demanding justice," said Tyrone Muhammad, founder, Ex-Cons for Community and Social Change (ECCSC).

Police previously stated the officers involved were placed on paid leave.

"These officers should be held fully accountable for their actions," said one family member. "And we would like to plead that another agency outside of DuPage County come in and investigate."

The county's Metropolitan Emergency Response and Investigations Team (M.E.R.I.T.) is the independent agency leading the investigation.

Goodlow’s family has alleged the video they were previously shown had more footage than what was released.

On Monday M.E.R.I.T. issued a press release stating, in part:

"The Law Enforcement Officer-Worn Body Camera Act and Freedom of Information Act require the redaction of certain audio or visual elements – including faces, names, or other personally identifying information – from publicly released videos. Other than the required redactions, the Public Integrity Team has confirmed the videos are continuous and have not been materially altered or edited. Mr. Goodlow’s family and their attorney were afforded the opportunity to review the video prior to public release."

Goodlow’s mom, Pigram, was also in attendance Monday, but declined to speak during Monday’s rally and press conference.

On Saturday, she spoke with FOX 32 Chicago and shared the following:

"I’m going to have this pain, because I felt like they just snatched my son away from me, and I feel like they’ve broken my heart, a heart that’s going to be broken for the rest of my life," Pigram said.

"And me and my kids, which is his siblings, we are hurting. They say it gets easier. It’s getting harder every day. Every day I cry because I’m hurt, especially because they didn’t do their job right. He would have still been alive if they did their job right."

Chief Cummings, on Monday, told FOX 32 Chicago that he was unable to comment.

Goodlow’s family has filed a lawsuit against the Village of Carol Stream and the officers involved.

Meanwhile, the investigation continues.