Family of wounded Chicago police officer says they will not be silent after accused shooter is in court

On Monday, there was a huge turnout at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse by family members and Chicago police officers, as one of the brothers accused of killing a Chicago cop last month made an appearance.

The man charged with murdering Chicago Police Officer Ella French and seriously wounding her partner pleaded not guilty in court.

Emonte "Monty" Morgan, 21, is charged with 85 counts including first-degree murder of a peace officer, attempted murder of two other officers, unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

Prosecutors say Morgan and his brother Eric opened fire on three Chicago police officers during a traffic stop in Englewood last month, killing 29-year-old French and severely wounding her partner, Carlos Yanez Jr.


Yanez Jr., is still recovering from serious injuries at a rehabilitation facility, and his family said Monday the road ahead will be long and hard. 

"It's been challenging. It's easy to see the physical wounds, but the emotional, psychological is a struggle every day," said his wife, Brenda Yanez. "We have a lot of hard moments."

They say Yanez Jr. is still partially paralyzed, with some movement on his right side but very little on his left.

Yanez Jr.'s dad, Carlos Yanez Sr., said it was difficult to see Morgan in person.

"Most of the emotion that I went through can't be said on TV," Yanez Sr. said. "I pray that the justice system works in this case. I am disheartened by some of the previous cases where violent offenders have been released on home monitoring or bail. If there had been better decisions in those things, maybe some of these crimes wouldn't have happened."

Fraternal Order of Police President John Catanzara echoed those sentiments.


"Everybody knows that there's something different now in this anti-police climate," Catanzara said. "It is beyond disgusting that the passenger of that vehicle will not be charged with murder."

Morgan is scheduled to make his next court appearance on Dec. 2.

"I would like to see justice done," said Graciela Yanez, the injured officer’s mother. "We have to stick together and stop all the violence."