Man charged for attacking on-duty Chicago police detective who was investigating a murder scene in South Shore

Kenyon Washington, 23 | CREDIT: CPD

Bail was denied Sunday for a 23-year-old man who has been charged for attacking an on-duty Chicago police detective in South Shore.

Kenyon Washington is facing a first-degree murder charge as well as an armed robbery charge.

On Feb. 8. 2021, the detective, a 26-year veteran of the department, was investigating the scene of a fatal shooting in the 7700 block of South Yates Boulevard when two people approached him from behind. 

Police said one person had a gun and the other person had a knife.

The on-duty detective, who was in civilian clothing but carrying a binder embossed with the Chicago Police Department star, fell to the ground after he was hit in the back of his head, prosecutors said. That’s when Washington’s accomplice allegedly pointed a semi-automatic handgun with an extended clip at the detective’s head and demanded his belongings.

Washington and the other man began to kick the detective in his head and body as the officer yelled that he didn’t have anything on him, prosecutors said.

As the attack continued, the detective said he was an officer multiple times and "that they did not have to do this," according to a copy of the bond proffer. The detective also said he didn’t have his wallet.

Washington "made a stabbing motion" toward the detective’s neck, prosecutors said. The detective’s partner heard screams and saw the two men on top of his colleague as he exited a nearby building. The pair of offenders fled the scene on foot as the other detective came to his partner’s aid, prosecutors said.


The detective suffered injuries to his head and neck.

One suspect was arrested right after the incident for drug charges, however, it was unrelated to the robbery.

Washington was arrested Friday and allegedly admitted to committing the armed robbery, though he said he didn’t know the victim was a police officer, according to the proffer.Washington also admitted to being armed with a knife and that he stabbed the detective, prosecutors said.  

He was placed in custody without incident and charged accordingly.

Tom Ahern, the Deputy Director of News Affairs & Communications for CPD, announced the charges on Saturday night.

Washington is expected back in court Friday.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.